Jump to Navigation
Aggressive Advocacy and Exceptional Civil Litigation Success

Contact our firm for your legal needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Miami Personal Injury Law Blog

What is a wrong-site surgery, and is it preventable in Florida?

A wrong-site surgery is a serious complication; a patient who went in to have an amputation or operation to stop pain may be forced to suffer additional and horrific pain and injury due to the mistake. So, the problem itself should be to make sure the staff is well aware of the body part to be worked on; unfortunately, this isn't as easy as it seems.

It's estimated that wrong-site surgery, wrong-side surgery, and even wrong-patient surgeries happen around 40 times each week. This problem can be prevented; it's been shown through a pilot phase of a recent CTH project that it's possible to significantly reduce the risk of a wrong-site surgery.

Seek compensation for maritime injuries and deaths in Florida

Have you been hurt on a boat or at a local marina? Maritime injuries, which are offshore injuries, require special legal knowledge. Whether you were working on a dock or working with a search party on a boat when you got your injury, you deserve to have the best representation for your case.

Cases involving off-shore injuries can be complicated, especially if someone was killed as a tourist or worker at sea. You may, as someone injured, be suffering from lacerations, bites or infections from sea water; you could have suffered brain trauma from drowning or dehydration from being out in the sun too long.

Motorcycle accident results in death of 1 in Florida

As a motorcyclist, the last thing you want to hear about is someone being hit and killed by a negligent driver. Unfortunately, the roads can be dangerous due to weather, the time of day or even just due to reckless drivers. Another motorcycle accident has taken place in Florida. A Nov. 29 news report states that a motorcyclist was killed in Cocoa, Florida, on State Road 520 near State Road 524.

The accident involved a 26-year-old woman and a 21-year-old driver from Orlando who was driving a sedan at the time of the accident. The troopers who reported to the scene indicated that the 2007 Honda driven by the 21-year-old struck the motorcyclist as the young driver tried to turn left. Unfortunately, turning meant blocking the path of the motorcyclist, resulting in the motorcyclist hitting the right side of the sedan. The 26-year-old was thrown from the motorcycle onto the north shoulder of SR 520.

Get the compensation you need for catastrophic injuries in Miami

Imagine being in a car accident and becoming paralyzed, struggling to get help, or being left with brain trauma that makes it hard for you to communicate or enjoy your time with others. Maybe you've been left with several broken bones, torn tendons, lacerations or foresee months of rehabilitation in front of you to get back to normal. Catastrophic injuries like those you've suffered need to be compensated for. When they're caused by another person's neglect or ill will towards you, there's no reason you should end up facing the bills after dealing with such a trauma.

When you seek compensation, you won't only receive money for your bills in most cases. This situation has cost you more than just your paycheck; you've been left with injuries and have had emotional and physical trauma that takes time to heal. You may not be participating in your normal activities or be able to enjoy your life to the fullest. Because of that, you can seek compensation for several things including lost wages, medical bills, therapy, the loss of consortium and for your pain and suffering.

How helmet laws affect your rights after an accident in Florida

Imagine getting into an accident that is someone else's fault, but then you're told that you may not be able to be compensated because you didn't wear a helmet. In Florida, you're required to wear a helmet if you're under 21 or don't have enough medical insurance; additionally, you have to wear eye protection regardless of whether or not you wear a helmet.

Helmet laws can make a big difference in your motorcycle accident case, but even if you've broken a law by not wearing your helmet, you may still be able to claim for the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. A helmet, as you should know, is one of the most effective pieces of protective equipment provided to motorcyclists. They save lives by reducing the severity of head injuries.

What's a wrongful death lawsuit?

A wrongful death lawsuit is a lawsuit that claims a party is responsible for another person's death due to negligence or misconduct. Survivors of a family member who has died in Florida is typically able to file a wrongful death lawsuit in those cases, and they can try to obtain compensation for the loss of their loved one. Some kinds of compensation that they may be able to receive include compensation for lost wages, funeral expenses and companionship. Other kinds of compensation may include pecuniary injury damages, which include money for the prospect of inheritance, medical expenses, funeral expenses and the loss of support.

Under state law, you can recover compensation if you are the surviving spouse, immediate family member or the parent of a person who has died. Typically, the lawsuit will be filed by the person responsible for the deceased's estate. How much money they can request or can receive may be capped or limited by the state depending on the kind of lawsuit it is; that's why it's important to speak with someone with knowledge of the state laws before heading to court.

Florida patients with personal injuries charged high rates

Imagine being hurt in a car or truck accident and having to go to the hospital. Then, all of a sudden, you get a bill that is 65 times the average rate for your radiological services. These are the same services offered at all other hospitals, and you had no choice of where to go in your emergency situation. What do you do?

This is the center of an issue in Florida, right now. According to an Oct. 20 report, a federal lawsuit was filed against the North Florida Regional Medical Center and two other HCA hospitals because of overcharging patients who had been involved in car crashes for their diagnostic tests.

Releasing your documents in Florida: Medical paperwork

Your medical information is private in Florida. You and the doctors who work with you to help you get the care you need are the only people who see these documents outside administrative needs at the hospital. When you've been injured and are seeking compensation, you will need to provide information about your injuries to the court and your lawyer. You need to have the right medical paperwork in order to put together a strong personal injury case.

You will have to sign a medical release form in order for your attorney or others to view your medical papers. The release will only allow those you indicate to see the medical information. This is because the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, better known as HIPAA, requires patient information to be strictly confidential when it contains medical information. In order to release your information, you must waive your rights to HIPAA protection with a release form.

How is a person's worth defined during a wrongful death case?

Have you lost a loved one who was still a baby? Maybe you lost an elderly parent to mistreatment at a local nursing facility in Florida. Whatever happened, you have rights as a family member of those people.

Wrongful death cases can be very difficult for family members, especially when they involve children, elderly mothers and fathers or caregivers. After a person passes away, the value of that person's life has to be valued in order to receive payment, which can be a trying and difficult process for families to deal with.

Florida car accidents: You have options to pursue

If you've been in a car or truck accident in Florida, then you need to seek the compensation you need to pay medical bills, repair your damaged vehicle and to cover the time you have lost off work. If you're now disabled, you may want to collect money that can be used to add handicap-friendly ramps or other items to your home.

With some help, you can get the compensation you need after a crash. If you have permanent or significant injuries, you can file a case. Your lawsuit may point out negligence of a driver, the corporation the driver was working for or even point out the deadly habits of a drunken driver who was given back his license after revocation.

Miami Office
Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
2650 SW 27th Ave
Miami, FL 33133
Telephone: 305-444-0060
Toll Free: 866-723-9806
Fax: 305-444-3503
Miami Law Office

Jacksonville Office
Kurzban Kurzban Weinger Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
10752 Deerwood Park Boulevard South
Jacksonville, FL 32256
Telephone: 904-536-3556
Toll Free: 866-723-9806
Fax: 904-394-2956
Jacksonville Law Office